Cheer up your picnic side dishes with creamy and sweet Amish Potato Salad. The recipe is alike Walmart’s Amish Potato Salad with a spicy dressing made of mustard, mayonnaise, sugar, and smoked paprika.
The obsolete Amish potato salad recipe is tangy, sweet, and mouth-watering. It is the best thing to enjoy a picnic, potluck or holidays.
The potato salad recipe is the best and truly an easy potato salad recipe. What you are waiting for? If you’ve never made your own homemade potato salad. It is far better than the store-bought salad.
The salad has a tangy and sweet flavor with an amazing taste. Amish potato salad is an easy recipe for potlucks, picnics, and holidays.
The particular salad has sour and sweet dressing with a distinct yellow color.
In this article, we will discuss what Amish salad is and how to make this salad. Let’s start.
Amish Potato Salad- Easy Homemade Salad
Delicious and creamy Amish Potato Salad should be a staple for summer events and picnics. It is the pizzazz of apple cider vinegar and mustard with a creamy texture.
The recipe includes real mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, salt, white vinegar, and milk.
The sauce made with all these ingredients will soak the potatoes and will taste absolutely amazing.
You can use any potatoes available but I highly recommend Yukon Gold potatoes.
This easy potato salad is loved by everyone as it has the most favorite ingredient… Eggs.
The egg adds flavor and texture plus provide healthy proteins as well.
Easy Homemade Amish Potato Salad Recipe
The potato salad made at home is far better as compared to the one available in the market.
As per my point of view, the pre-made stuff looks unappealing and has a bad taste. Whereas, it is perfect to make this mustard potato salad two days before to attain the best taste and flavor.
Still, it is super easy to make.
What is Amish Potato Salad?
Traditionally, potato salad and Amish potato salad are the same with the only exception of sugar in homemade potato salad.
Sour cream is used in simple potato salad rather than mayonnaise that gives a different creamier texture.
Ingredients for Potato Salad
You just need 8 ingredients to make this Amish Potato Salad along with the addition of pepper and salt for flavor. How wonderful is that? I wonder if this is the best potato salad recipe for all occasions and made all the time in summer.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- there are many incredible uses for it, and the potato salad with egg is the best one.
- Yukon Gold potatoes- any variety can be used, however, Yukon Gold is my favorite
- Pepper and salt- used to add flavor as per your choice
- Sugar- the easy and quick potato salad and sugar adds a lovely sweetness.
- Yellow mustard- to offset the sweetness, you want to add tangy flavor from the mustard.
- Hard-cooked eggs- eggs are the most liked ingredient of this dish.
- Celery seed- replace celery salt, if you are not having celery seed. But if you add it, skip any other salt, otherwise, it would be too salty.
- Sour cream- it is the super creamy base and this delicious sour cream is where the homemade potato salad gets.
- Celery rib- addition of celery adds a perfect crunch that can’t be beaten.
What is the best kind of potatoes for potato salad?
Russet potatoes can be used for Amish salad. These are starchier as compared to the most potatoes and the dressing soaks up quite nicely.
The potatoes have the tendency to fall apart more easily because of high starch, so be vigilant to avoid overcooking your potatoes.
How to make Potato Salad?
If you serve this amazing easy homemade potato salad recipe then your next cookout is going to be wonderful. The steps are easy and you will perceive you just did nothing.
The most time taking part is chilling, meanwhile, there are many other things to work on when this step is taking place.
- Boil the slices of potatoes by addition of enough water to cover them and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
As soon as the potatoes begin to boil, lower the flame to medium and simmer till the potatoes are soft which takes almost 10 minutes usually. Check them with a fork for doneness.
- Microwave the vinegar and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add vinegar and sugar mixture, one hard-boiled egg, salt, and celery seed using a food processor.
Blend the mixture till smooth and transfer to a medium-sized bowl. Separate 2 tablespoons of the mixture and put it aside.
- Drain the potatoes after they are done and move to a large bowl. Trickle 2 tablespoons of dressing on the top of pot potatoes using a spatula.
Toss the salad gently to ensure it is cooked evenly.
Place the potatoes in the fridge for half an hour for cooling.
- Sour cream is added to rest of the dressing. Add egg white and hard-boiled eggs with the dressing. A potato masher is used to the remains of very small pieces.
Add celery and dressing to the potatoes. Put it in the fridge after covering and 12-24 hours to attain the best flavors. Add some salt and pepper.
Can you make potato salad the day before?
The answer to this question is yes, you can make potato salad a few days before serving. Actually, I suggest to allow the salad chill in the refrigerator to add the flavors.
Shelf life of potato salad
Proper storage in an airtight jar and not leaving on the countertop for more than 2 hours will make Amish potato salad last for 3-4 days.
What can I serve with potato salad?
Below are some of the recipes that you can add with potato salad
- Caesar Pasta salad
- Amish Macaroni salad
- Greek Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- The Pittsburger
Can you freeze Potato Salad?
In fact, potato salad can be frozen and thawed back, and then eat it. However, there will likely be chances that it will become a bit grainy and mushy.
Store it in an airtight container, if decided to freeze the potato salad. Make sure to cool it down before freezing and thaw it in the fridge.
It can be stored for 4-5 days in the refrigerator and tossed it if can’t be eaten before spoilage.
This way you can make sure you are consuming the high-quality potato salad and you don’t need to handle the unappealing effects of freezing salad.
Recipe: Amish Potato Salad
This is the most liked salad with sweet and sour dressing.
It requires total of 50 minutes to make this salad with 30 minutes preparation time and 20 minutes cooking time with a serving of 8.
- White medium-sized potatoes with skin 6
- Small finely chopped onion 1
- Chopped celery 1 cup
- Chopped carrots 1 cup
- Celery seed 1 teaspoon
- Hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped 4
- Beaten eggs 2
- White sugar ¾ cup
- Cornstarch 1 teaspoon
- Apple cider vinegar 1/3 cup
- Milk ½ cup
- Prepared yellow mustard 1 teaspoon
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Salad dressing or mayonnaise 1 cup
- Take a large pot and place the potatoes and fill water for covering them. Boil and cook for 20 minutes or till pierced easily with a fork. Drain and put aside for cooling.
- After boiling is done, turn the heat low to simmer and cook till fork soft for almost 5-8 minutes. Drain and wash with cold water. Take a baking sheet and spread to dry. Allow it to cool down for 15 minutes.
- Take a large bowl and mix mustard, mayonnaise, paprika, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Now add the carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery. Combine till covered with a dressing.
- Cover and put them in refrigerator for almost 1 hour or till cold.
- For the development of flavors, 24 hours is preferred.
- You can store them in the refrigerator for more than 5 days.
- Ensure to thoroughly cool the cooked potatoes before addition of sauce. If you are impatient, you can increase the speed of the process, by placing the potatoes under cold water.
- When boiling the potatoes you can add salt optionally to the water for flavor.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and paprika before serving.
The article is all about the delicious and easily made Potato Amish Salad. The obsolete Amish potato salad recipe is tangy, sweet and mouth-watering. It is the best thing to enjoy a picnic, potluck, or holiday.
The potato salad recipe is the best and truly an easy potato salad recipe. It is far better than the store-bought salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many calories are in Amish potato salad?
0.5 cup of Amish Potato Salad has 6g of protein, 56g of carbs, 480 calories, and 24g of fat.
2. Should I peel potatoes before boiling for potato salad?
The best choice here is Waxy potatoes that maintain their shape after cooking and have a creamy, soft texture. It is easy to boil whole potatoes and peel them and cut them into chunks.
3. What kind of potatoes are best for potato salad?
For potato salad, waxy potatoes are the best one.