Origin of Apple Pie:
Apple pie is a pie that has an apple as a filling ingredient and first originated in England. It is sometimes served with ice cream, whipped cream, or cheddar cheese. The pie has two crusts with 2 layers of pastry filled with filling. The upper layer might be latticed or solid. The bottom crust may be separately baked to prevent it from getting soggy. It is an unofficial sign of the US and one of the comfort food.
Keto Apple Pie has a buttery crust that has a yummy filling inside. This recipe is a mouth-watering way to reduce carbs. However, it still includes a pie.
This article will go through keto apple pie recipes and how they will lower the fats.
What are the main ingredients of Apple Pie?
It is made with different varieties of apples. The famous apples used for cooking purposes are
- Granny Smith
- Northern Spy
The fruit used for the pie can be canned, fresh, or made from dried apples. The preserved or dried are used in place of the unavailability of fresh fruit. The inside filling can be
- sometimes lemon juice or nutmeg.
Nutritional Value of Apple Pie:
The apple pie constitutes:
- 34% carbohydrates
- 52% water
- 11% fat
- 2% protein.
- A serving of 100 g gives 237 calories.
Recipe of Keto Apple Pie:
There are many recipes for pies available. Here we have summarized a few recipes for you. Let’s start.
- Keto Apple Pie
While on your keto diet, craving an apple pie with buttery, flaky and sweet apple filling. Just like a traditional apple pie, the taste of this keto apple pie recipe is the same, however, without sugar and carbs. You can’t taste and feel the difference between an apple and squash pie flavoring.
- 4.8g net carbs
- 6.8g proteins
- 9.7g total carbs
- 318 calories
- 29.1g fat
- Almond flour 2 cups
- Coconut flour 6 tablespoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Xanthum gum 2 teaspoons
- Unsalted, cubed and chilled butter 1 cup
- Eggs 2
- Cream cheese softened 2 ounces
- Rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon
- Egg wash ( 1 tablespoon water + 1 egg beaten)
Keto Pie Filling Ingredients
- Butter 2 tablespoons
- Zucchini or chayote, peeled and diced 2 pounds
- Sugar-free sweetener ¾ cup
- Ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon
- Arrowroot powder 1 teaspoon
- Xanthum gum ½ teaspoon
- Apple flavoring drops 2 dropperfuls
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Keto Apple Pie Directions
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour
- Xanthum gum
- Unsalted butter
- Cream cheese
Cut butter into dry ingredients for keto pie crust
- Take a food processor and add coconut flour, xanthan gum, salt and almond flour.
- Pulse and combine.
- Add cream cheese ad chilled cubed butter.
- Freeze the butter for half an hour before use for the flakiest low-carb pie crust.
- Blend till the formation of coarse crumbles.
Add remaining pie crust ingredients.
- Add vinegar and egg to crumbled pie dough.
- Blend properly till the formation of dough balls.
- Avoid overmixing, or the butter might melt.
- The dough is then divided into two balls.
- Use plastic wrap to wrap the pie crust, flatten the dough into a disc shape, and refrigerate for 60 mins. Or put it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- The process helps keep the flecks of butter from melting while we roll out the pie dough.
Roll out the bottom pie dough
- Take two sheets of parchment paper and place the larger chilled pie between them.
- Roll the dough into a flat circle.
- The rolling must start from the center and work out in all directions.
- Carefully stretch the paper out if the parchment paper crumbles beneath the dough.
- Keep on rolling till the dough is 1/8 to ¼ inch thick, and the circle is around 1-inch wider on all the corners than the pan you want to use.
- Place the dough on the plate and level the edges.
- Place the crust in the freezer or the refrigerator while you start working on the filling of the keto apple pie.
Cook the apples
Take a large pot over medium-high heat; add zucchini or chayote slices and butter.
- Sugar-free sweetener
Cinnamon spice and everything sweet
- Sprinkle in cinnamon, sugar-free sweetener, salt and allspice.
- Keep on cooking till the squash has softened (depending on the thickness of your squash)
- Xanthan Gum
- Arrowroot powder
Thicken the pie filling
- Sprinkle in xanthan gum and arrowroot powder.
- Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Mix in apple flavoring and apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice).
- Put it aside and allow it to cool.
Assemble sugar-free apple pie
Add the pie filling to your pan over top of the lower crust.
- Egg wash
Top filling with pie crust
- Similarly, in step 3, roll out the second layer of pie crust.
- Place the layer on top of the filling and cut the lattice stripes, and drape it on top.
- Use egg wash and brush the top crust.
- Cut slits in the top layer of covering the pie with the whole pie crust layer to let steam vent.
For 30-35 minutes, bake in a 350-degree oven or till the crust gets golden brown.
Here in this article, we concluded that apples are very sweet and have carbs, so use an alternative if you are on a keto diet. In this article, we also summarized some recipes for keto apple pie. I hope you got a good option from it if you want to have some diet plans.
Can you eat apples on keto?
If you are on a keto diet, the apples are not a good option, as a medium-sized apple has 20g of net carbs.
What does Apple Pie symbolize?
In the 19th and 20th centuries, it became a symbol of national pride and prosperity in America.
What is the best apple to bake with?
The best apples for baking are:
- Pink lady.