Despite noxious, nobody can stay away from the crispy, crunchy, golden tender French fries. In the olden times, the French were restricted to restaurants, however, today you can enjoy them at home as well with a perfect crust.
Half-cooked fries are bought from the superstore, cooked properly and the fries are done. However, if you don’t have enough time to fry then there is a good option of a microwave.
Microwave is a simple, easy, and quick method to cook raw food. You just need a pack of frozen fries, baking paper, a plate, and a microwave.
In this article, I’ll share tips on how to microwave and keep the fries crispy. Other than a microwave, there are few other substitutes mentioned below. So let’s start.
What are Frozen Fries made from?
The fries are made from potatoes.
Home-based and Market-based fries.
The homemade French fries are simply sliced and cooked.
However, the market-based French fries involve a complicated and long business including many factory lines and machinery to get completely skinless potatoes with easy and even cooking and the same shape.
It is a great contribution to any freezer and easily accessible item in a time of hunger.
You can say that it is marked as an important ingredient to a balanced healthy meal.
Can you microwave frozen fries?
Many food items can be cooked and heated in the microwave. However, some things are better in performance to this method as compared to others.
Generally, frozen fries fall in the other category. The best option is to cook the fries in the oven to get crispier fries.
Effects of microwaving
- Make them mushy and soggy, besides the types that are exclusively designed for microwaving.
Microwaving homemade fries
As long as you use fresh ingredients, you can make fries in the microwave from the scratch however, freezing them first is not recommended.
- The potatoes are sliced and washed and dried.
- Seasoning like pepper and salt is added if preferred.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place the slices, and for 4-5 minutes microwave them.
- Shake the container to avoid sticking the fries.
- Place them again in the microwave for 4 minutes.
- The fries will be soft with crunchy ends and thoroughly cooked.
Tips on cooking frozen French fries in the microwave
It is a surprising thing to know that you can cook frozen fries in the microwave. You might think about how this method will give crispy crunchy fries.
The result may be different from the fried ones however if you follow the tips mentioned, the result turns out to be good.
Work principle of a microwave
The air circulates inside the microwave with the help of fans that move the air inside of a microwave to evenly cook the food.
The food is cooked more quickly as the heat is transferred in both directions outward and inward.
The microwave maintains the level of moisture however, the nutritional value gets affected.
Following tips must be followed to cook the frozen fries properly in the microwave oven.
- Spread the fries on a baking sheet. It is a helpful thing as most of the energy is absorbed under the food’s surface during microwaving.
- Cook the fries in small quantities. This method will quickly cook the fries. The microwave is set between 600-800 watts.
- On the microwave-safe dish put the round dish or pan on the round dish or pan.
- The chips are microwaved for 2-3 minutes on high voltage. Pause and shake the fries, to evenly cook them.
- The process is repeated a few more times. This step takes 10 minutes, based on the efficiency of the microwave and the number of fries.
- Avoid overeating, as the fries will get dried and lose softness. Also, avoid heating them.
- The result is cooked fried fries, which are served after cooling.
How to make the frozen fries crispy?
Crispiness makes the fries perfect. The question might come into your mind how the frozen fries can be crispy when microwaved as compared to the ones cooked in an air fryer.
Below are some of the tricks and tips to get the golden and crispy fries.
- Add a little amount of vegetable oil to the fries to provide a little moisture.
- For this type of cooking, the baking paper is your best friend to retain the crispiness of your food.
- On a paper, place the fries and put them on a microwave-safe plate directly.
- Cook the fries for 10 minutes in a microwave.
- Put and spread the fries and cool them.
- Serve once properly cooled down.
Alternative cooking methods
Now I’ll discuss some other methods of cooking fries which are good from a health point of view as compared to microwave.
These substitutes will help you enjoy the full plate of golden and crispy French fries.
Pack of frozen fries specially made for microwaves
There is a company that has used the microwave for fries and produced special boxes of fries that are confined only for microwave purposes.
The fries are partly fried and spread inside the box for easy cooking.
The cooking instructions are mentioned on the side of the box, telling on the length of cooking as per the microwave power.
The special design of the box transfers the heat inside the microwave. After they are done, the outcome is crispy cooked fries.
Other methods of cooking fries are
- Convection oven
It is a healthier option to cook or bake the fries. 15 minutes almost are required to get them brown.
The pan should also be shaken once in every while to avoid burning.
- Seasoning is always a good idea while cooking fries and it enhances the flavor and makes the fries more yummy and delicious.
Because of its working mode, a convection oven is a better substitute. Like a standard oven, the fries will require a shorter time within the same temperature range.
- With the help of non-stick spray, spray the pan and use baking paper.
- Seasoning is another good idea to enhance the flavor.
- This option is better concerning retaining nutrients as compared to microwaving and frying.
Use skillet as another useful option. Oil the skillet bottom on medium heat and a large number of fries are cooked at the same time.
The crispiness should be chosen as per your choice. Take them out when you think the fries are done.
Use a paper towel to absorb the extra oil or grease.
The best Frozen French Fries in the Freezer Aisle
It is a fun challenge however it was hard, believe me.
We aimed to select the top frozen French fries and is a hard and tough task.
There were many frozen French fries brands available some were chewy, some were limp and the taste of others was like old oil.
The top picks of the best frozen French fries are
- Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries
- McCain Extra Crispy Crinkle Fries
- Alexia Waffle Cut Sweet potato
- Ore-Ida Golden Steak Fries
- Crinkle cut French Fries
Can I cook French Fries on Aluminum foil?
Yes, it is good to cook fries on a baking sheet lined with foil to avoid browning and ease the process of cleaning.
Can I cook French Fries without oil?
Yes, they can be cooked without the use of any oil but the crispy texture will not be liked by your taste buds. By spraying the fries with a cooking spray the flavor can be enhanced. Use an air fryer, if you don’t want to use oil.
Do Frozen French Fries expire?
Yes, everything has an expiry date. The label on the package must be checked to find the date of expiry.
How to reheat fries?
2 tablespoon of vegetable oil is used to reheat the fries. Throw the fires in oil to coat them. For about 5-8 minutes bake them in the oven.
Can Frozen French fries be microwaved?
It is possible to microwave the fries and the result is crunchy, crispy golden fries if appropriately done. On a round microwave-safe plate, microwave for 2-3 minutes.
How to avoid soggy fries in the microwave?
Before placing the fries in the microwave, sprinkle some olive oil on the fries this will give crispy fries other than soggy.
How long should you microwave frozen fries?
The fries are placed on the paper and place directly on a microwave-safe plate. Let them cook for 10 minutes in the microwave.
The frozen fries are a good addition to the main meal, and a quick hot snack to be enjoyed with your favorite dip.
This process can be made easier by going for frozen fries that can be cooked in the microwave or can easily be made at home and microwave those.