What is Coffee?
Coffee is a drink made with roasted coffee beans, the seeds from specific coffee species. The seeds are picked when the color of coffee berries changes from green to bright red.
The roasted beans are dried coffee seeds. Coffee is one of the most famous drinks in the world. It is dark in color, bitter in taste, and has an energizing effect in humans basically because of caffeine.
What is a coffee creamer?
- It is also known as a coffee whitener or tea whitener.
- Can be added in a granular or liquid substance.
- Substitute for milk.
What is the purpose of coffee creamer?
It is added to the coffee to sweeten and lighten the black coffee, tea, and espresso served either cold or hot.
Dairy-based versions can also be made, and most of them are dairy-free.
It is also a vegan substitute for coffee drinks.
Are you a coffee lover?
Good coffee is a perfect thing to start your day. The coffee not only helps you to start your day with full energy; however, it also possesses many health benefits.
The caffeine in coffee boosts your energy level and is a natural ingredient that reduces fat levels. As coffee is a great drink, however, mostly plain black coffee is not liked.
To cater to these, many options are available like sugar, milk, syrups, and coffee creamers to add to the coffee.
In this article, we will go through the coffee creamer substitutes one by one. So stay with me.
What are the ingredients of coffee creamer?
The ingredients in the coffee creamer are:
- Sodium Caseinate.
- Partially Hydrogenated Soybean.
- Disodium phosphate.
- Cellulose gel.
- Color added.
- Artificial and natural flavors.
- Mono and Diglycerides.
Is coffee creamer bad for you?
- Most of the store-bought coffee creamers are not good for health. They constitute a large number of fats, sugars, and chemicals. The sugar-free or fat-free creamers have some bad thing.
- Milk might block the benefits of coffee. In dairy, casein is the best protein and binds with anti-oxidants and minimize their fight against harmful radicals.
Ingredients for a healthy homemade coffee creamer:
This is the list of ingredients of a healthy homemade creamer.
- Pure maple syrup.
- Almond milk or any unsweetened milk as per your preference.
- Arrowroot starch.
- Pure vanilla extract.
How to make homemade coffee creamer?
You will be surprised to know how easily coffee creamer is made at home. It has some simple ingredients for the bliss of coffee.
The steps of homemade creamer are:
- Raisins and milk are used to prepare homemade condensed milk.
- The condensed milk is mixed with pure milk, vanilla extract, arrowroot starch, and pure maple syrup.
- Refrigerate it and enjoy.
How to make different flavors of coffee creamer?
Here are mentioned variations of homemade coffee creamers and is made with your favorite flavor.
- Peppermint extract.
- Coconut extract.
- Maple extract.
- Almond extract.
- Chocolate extract.
- Hazelnut extract.
Add any flavor or combination of different flavors to your coffee. If you prefer plain coffee, then there is no need to add any extract.
How long does homemade creamer last?
In the fridge, the homemade creamers last for a week if stored properly. You can use mason jars or reusable milk bottles and get ensured they are tightened properly. Hold them and shake so that all the flavors get mixed.
Let’s start with the homemade coffee creamer recipe.
Healthy homemade coffee recipe:
For plain & unsweetened.
- Raw cashews ½ cup soaked for 2 hours up to 12.
- Purified water for blending 1.5 cups.
- Seal salt a pinch.
For plain sweetened:
- Raw cashews ½ cup soaked for 2 hours up to 12.
- Purified water for blending 1.5 cups.
- Real maple syrup or 1 tablespoon raw honey.
- A pinch of salt.
- The soaked cashews are drained, and soaking liquid is discarded.
- Rinse them well.
- In a high-speed blender, place all the ingredients.
- The blender is turned slow and then slowly raise the speed.
- Till 2 minutes blend until smooth.
Healthy coffee creamer substitutes:
There are many substitutes for coffee creamer available in the market that make your favorite coffee a bit sweeter, creamier without the use of non-fat dairy creams that have no cream.
1. Cinnamon and spices:
- A sweet taste is created by adding cinnamon to a coffee.
- It possesses anti-inflammatory properties that are a treat to begin your day.
- Stops spinking in your adrenals.
- The organic cinnamon is expensive though, however, worth buying. Some fillers are present in cheap varieties of cinnamon.
- Turmeric added in coffee help people stay healthy and long.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar:
- It adds an amazing flavor to coffee, especially with the combination of some drops of apple pie spices and bitters.
- The apple cider is best in iced coffee and hot coffee.
- Taste is similar to apple pie.
3. Cacao + Honey:
- All chocolaty sweets have unsweetened cocoa without added sugar in it.
- The package must be read for the ingredients and make sure it has unsweetened cacao in it, then the addition of one teaspoon of coffee with ½ t.sp of honey.
Other than white sugar, natural honey is a good option. The combination of honey and cacao is good for your taste buds without any cream required.
4. Coconut cream:
- It has the same calorie count as regular cream. However, coconut cream is the best substitute for dairy if you have some digestion issues.
- In iced coffee, coconut cream is perfect with a submersion blender. It froths up like steamed milk.
- For some extra flavor, add some cinnamon and true organic ginger.
5. 2% or whole milk:
- Heavy cream is enriched with fats.
- 2% or whole milk has a relatively less fat content.
- Skim milk is not recommended as it water down your coffee.
- The texture stays intact with 2% milk.
- The taste of the coffee won’t change much.
The addition of honey, along with milk, will naturally give a sweet taste.
6. Soy Bean:
- Soy is tested for its effect on the body; however, the addition of soy milk to a coffee should not be harmful.
- Source of protein.
- Same as regular milk.
The soybean allergies should be considered before consumption of coffee with soy milk.
7. Almond milk:
- Nowadays, almonds are everywhere, ranging from almond butter to almond milk.
- It does not waive off nutrition and is enriched with healthy fats and vitamins.
- Source of calcium too.
- Any strange flavor is not added to almond milk.
- Vanilla and sweetened are famous options for this substitute.
8. Coconut milk:
- Most versatile substitute.
- Often rich in calories and has 3 benefits.
- Heart health.
- Weight loss.
- Increases immunity.
- Less available substitute for coffee creamer.
- Adds flavor to a wide range of curries and sauces.
- Addition of specific consistency.
- Must be added to your daily routine.
9. Oat milk:
- Gained popularity.
- Contains maximum calories.
- Fiber content.
- Similar to regular milk.
- An iced latter with Oat milk is thinner.
Oat almond and coconut milk are made easily at home, and using them will lower the additives. A lot of ingredients are not allowed, just a fine-mesh nut bag.
Tricks to try:
As coffee tastes bitter, you continue to add sugar or cream to it. There are some tips to try:
- Change to a high-quality coffee.
- A different roast must be selected.
- Buy whole bean coffee and a coffee grinder.
- The delicious invention in coffee.
- More fats in butter reduce the response of the body towards caffeine.
11. Cacao butter:
- Cacao butter is added in a small amount in hot coffee.
- Allow the fats to melt.
- Mix the coffee to add a chocolaty taste.
- For extra chocolate flavor, one teaspoon of cacao butter can be added.
12. Collagen powder:
- A new anti-aging morning drink.
- A little amount of protein, keeping skin fresh and young.
13. Egg yolks:
- Excellent emulsifiers.
- For the silky smooth finish of coffee, blend the egg yolk in coffee.
Pasteurized eggs can be used if you doubt raw eggs.
- A surprise for people who have a long association with honey and tea.
- In coffee, the taste of honey is incredible.
- A natural and excellent alternative to sugar.
- It helps in reducing the addition of sugary coffee.
- In place of sugar, add honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar.
- The stomach of some people gets affected by coffee.
- 67% less acidic as compared to brewed coffee.
- Cold brew coffee is best for people who get heartburn from high-acidic foods.
- Bolder flavor.
- A lot of creamers or sweeteners are not necessary.
- Coconut oil is a healthy and popular creamer.
- It is a good performer, physically and cognitively.
- Coconut oil is full of MCT (medium-chain triglycerides).
- Easily broken down as compared to usual fats.
- A good boost of energy with no sugar crash.
- For full fall flavor, mix real pumpkin in coffee.
More about ingredients:
Few of the ingredients are not well known, and it isn’t easy to find them. Here are the tips and information that will shock you.
- Full- fat canned coconut milk:
It is available close to ethnic foods in the market. Get ensured you select full-fat.
The heavy whipping cream is available in the dairy section. Organic is recommended when possible.
Organic is preferred. Kerrygold is the favorite brand in most of the marts.
It is a supplement to assist in reducing weight and maintain healthy energy levels.
Go for unsweetened milk as many are full of sugar.
Go for good quality oil with unrefined organic coconut oil.
Organic local honey is a good option for the environment and body. Find it straight from the beekeeper or natural stores.
Get ensure you are purchasing real maple syrup.
It is a good alternative as it doesn’t increase your blood sugar like sugar.
- Chocolate or Expresso NutriDryn Fruits & Greens:
These taste great, easy to mix, rich in nutrients with the maximum antioxidant power of fruits and vegetable servings.
Dairy-free vs. Non-Dairy:
It is important to make a clear difference between them. A lot of coffee creamer substitutes available are not dairy-free as per ingredients. The foods like creamers and whipped topping use non-dairy if they have milk 0.5% or less.
They are undoubtedly good for lactose intolerant people; however, they still are an issue for persons sensitive/ allergic to milk.
In this article, we have summarized the best substitutes for coffee lovers who are not fond of milk. These alternatives enhance the yummy flavor of the coffee and give coffee and sweet and creamy texture.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What can I have instead of coffee to wake me up in the morning?
Some of the coffee substitutes that will keep you energized are:
- Dark chocolate.
- Apple Cider vinegar.
- Apple juice.
- Green tea.
2. Why does coffee make me sleepy instead of awake?
Coffee makes me sleepy because it blocks adenosine and controls your sleep cycle. During the day, the adenosine level increases and ultimately makes you drowsy by putting down the cell activity in the forebrain.
3. Can you survive only on coffee?
No, as it can kill a person if the level of caffeine reaches a toxic level.
4. Why you shouldn’t drink coffee on an empty stomach?
A cup of coffee on an empty stomach damages the stomach’s lining and results in heartburn and digestion problems. It also affects your focus ability and increases the level of anxiety.
For best results, try to drink it in the mid-morning or early afternoon.
5. What ingredient in a coffee is a diuretic?
The coffee has caffeine in it, which is a diuretic compound that can enhance the frequency of urine.