Can you Freeze Egg Beaters? The Best Way
Egg beaters have become a popular choice for people who enjoy using eggs in their baking and cooking however, want to eat healthy food. As egg replacement products and egg beaters are pasteurized, they can be used in recipes that require no cooking.
Eggbeater is a brand of pasteurized eggs and constitutes 99% egg whites along with some addition of beta-carotene. All of the minerals and vitamins are added to egg yolks naturally by the company.
The mixture of pasteurized eggs is heated to 130F. All the bacteria and the Salmonella are killed off without exceeding the temperature of 145F that will cause the cooking of the egg.
We always go for easy options for cooking and want effective and simple solutions that will give the same result.
Now the question is can you freeze liquid eggs to increase their shelf life? The answer is yes you can freeze them. You can store them for 1 year in the freezer with proper storage conditions. The best way is to store the eggs without opening them.
In this article, we will discuss all the details about these eggs and the overview and the best type of liquid egg and provide you all the tricks and tips regarding proper storage of liquid eggs.
Nutritional Status of Liquid Eggs
The company aims to offer low fat and calorie alternative and to make eating eggs more accessible. Egg Beaters contain half the calories as compared to fresh eggs however, the taste is the same.
The egg beaters contain
- Protein 5g
- Calories 25
- Fat 0g
- Carbohydrate less than 1g
- Cholesterol 0g
The egg beaters can last for 1 year with proper storage conditions.
Freezing Liquid Eggs
When you crack the shell, the inside of all the eggs is in liquid form. Here we are discussing the liquid eggs and these can be bought with no shells.
This food product is mostly available near the dairy or egg section of your local grocery store.
These are mostly found in a carton like juice or milk. It is a great product for cooking purposes.
It is mostly used in recipes like
- French toast
- Scrambled eggs
Liquid eggs are also real eggs however, the nutritional status of the liquid egg is consistent as compared to fresh eggs. Liquid egg whites can also be purchased.
How to Freeze Egg Beaters?
Freezing large quantity
- Egg beaters can be purchased in frozen form hence can be stored in the freezer.
- You can freeze egg beaters until opened if you have purchased the refrigerated form.
- This can be easily done in its packaging as it has enough space at the top.
- Large quantities or the leftover can be frozen in their original carton.
- The contents can be poured down into a freezer bag and excess air is removed and at the end seal the package.
- Before freezing them, mention the date.
Freezing ice trays
- For a single serving, pour the spoon full of an egg beater in an ice cube tray.
- One whole egg is equivalent to each cube in a standard size cube tray.
- The trays are placed in the freezer till the freezing of egg beaters.
- Take a freezer bag and place cubes in it.
- Remove excess air.
- Seal and properly label it.
- Remove one cube simply for a recipe.
- Make sure to leave an inch space for the expansion of liquid egg
- Remove excess air before sealing, if you are using zip lock freezer bags.
- Placing cubes in a second zip-lock bag is recommended to avoid leakage.
- Proper labeling should be done to keep a record of the items frozen.
- If the method of ice cube trays is used, ¾ of the cubes are filled and the surface is covered with layers of plastic sheet to avoid spilling.
How to Defrost Egg Beaters
In the fridge
To defrost frozen egg beaters, the desired amount is removed from the freezer and thawed in the fridge.
In the microwave
If you need the egg beaters quickly, thaw them in the microwave. You can use this method with the thawed setting in 30-sec intervals and stir in between. This process is repeated until fully defrosted.
- For better results, thawed egg beaters should be used within 24 hours.
- Avoid refreezing of already frozen egg beaters.
Factors to consider before freezing egg beaters
- Keep the egg beaters in the fridge once thawed.
- Within 7 days the egg beaters must be consumed.
- Measure the volume each cube holds, if the ice cube tray method is used.
- If frozen in the original packaging, then defrost using the warm water method.
- This is done as the water affects the cardboard quality and damage it. This causes leakage and wastage of food.
Liquid eggs VS Liquid Egg Whites
Like fresh egg whites and fresh eggs, these both are also different from one another.
· Health point of view
Egg whites are mainly used to make liquid egg whites and are a healthy option as it has reduced calories, cholesterol, and fat.
· Consistency and color
The liquid whites are yellowish as it contains beta carotene in the mixture. The product is still made with real eggs and the added items are mainly for flavor and vitamin additions.
In the long run, the consistency and color are almost the same and the only known difference is mainly related to health.
What are liquid eggs used for?
Some of the great ideas for using liquid eggs are
- French toast
- Scrambled eggs
- Stir-fry or fried rice
- Baking products
- Egg sandwiches
- Breakfast casserole
Liquid eggs are used in a variety of recipes. Anything made uses either a whole egg or just an egg yolk can be made easily by using a liquid as compared to fresh eggs.
You can use other options if fresh eggs are hard to find.
Liquid Egg Brands
Some famous brands sell liquid eggs. They are recognized by the name of England’s Best or Egg’s Beaters. Another popular brand is Muscle Egg that is used mainly for egg protein.
Here is an overview of some best brands.
- Egg beaters
- Popular brand
- Expensive, however, provides the best quality
- Made with real eggs
- Do not have a lot of preservatives or additives.
- England’s Best
- Made with 100% eggs
- No artificial flavor, color, or preservative
- Egg white is used primarily for the combination of liquid egg
- Quality eggs
- Muscle Egg
- Brand is sometimes difficult to find
- Designed for workout protein.
- Not advisable for cooking and baking purpose
- Store Brands
- Store sell their brand and are reliable
- It can be equivalent to England’s Best and Egg Beaters
- To get a quality product the label should be read
Can you Drink Liquid Eggs?
Liquid eggs have the same nutritional value similar to raw eggs. On the other hand, liquid egg whites are not raw and typically pasteurized.
Check the package label because few liquid eggs are specifically made for drinking purposes and bodybuilders.
Are liquid eggs bad for you?
Both liquid and whole eggs have the same nutritional status. However, sometimes liquid eggs are better as egg whites are used only to make some liquid eggs with no cholesterol and fat.
Can you swap whole eggs for liquid eggs?
Yes, you can swap it. It performs well for baking and most egg dishes. ¼ cup of the liquid egg is measured to replace a whole egg.
In this article, we have discussed that egg beater is a brand of liquid egg with low fat and calories to alternate whole eggs. The unopened package has a life of 120 days however, can be frozen for 1 year with proper storage conditions. They can be replaced with whole eggs in all recipes providing a nutritious meal with no effect on taste. The egg beaters can be stored in ice cube trays or zip lock bags.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you freeze raw eggs for later use?
The raw eggs can be frozen by mixing the white and yolk. Both the yolk and white can be separated and individually frozen. Raw eggs can be frozen for up to 1 year and the cooked dishes should be stored for 2-3 months.
2. Are eggs still good if they freeze?
Avoid freezing shelled eggs and if frozen accidentally and the shell cracks down during the process, the egg must be discarded. Keep the egg in frozen form, if the eggs remain uncracked, and defrost it in the fridge.
3. How do you preserve fresh eggs?
The best way of preservation of eggs is to keep the eggs cool. They have an outer coating that protects the inside of the egg from spoilage. The egg should be refrigerated if the coat has washed off. Unwashed eggs can be stored, however, in the backroom or cool closet for weeks.