The Scrumptious Potato Casserole Recipe
Potatoes are considered the backbone in many recipes and if not being a part of the recipe, they are served as a side item in the form of French fries, potato chips, and mashed potatoes.
What exactly is a casserole?
A Potato Casserole is the main course dish that originated in Europe. It is a versatile deep and large pan used for the purpose of cooking different forms of dishes in the oven.
It is served hot with meat, chopped vegetables, and a starchy binder as the main ingredients.
The variation can be made using chicken, cheese, vegetables, fish, beef, mutton, and seafood.
The existence of baked dishes existed long ago. The early forms of casserole recipes comprised of rice that was filled, pressed and pounded with a savory mixture of meats like sweetbread or chicken.
1. Chicken, Broccoli, Bacon Potato Bake.
You are in the right place if you want freezer meals/ cooking or weeknight wonders. Some freezer meals stored in the freezer can help you eat them anytime when you are hungry and don’t want to cook something.
Chicken, Broccoli Bacon & Potato Bake Ingredients:
- Red potatoes:
Cut the potatoes into small pieces and before freezing get ensured that they are on the surface of the dish. As the potatoes turn black, however, covering them protects the potatoes.
- Boneless chicken breast:
Cut the chicken the same size as that of potatoes for cooking evenly. Thighs are also a good option.
- Broccoli florets:
For a little variety add some cauliflower and broccoli.
About 3 slices of bacon turn into a half cup after cooking and crumbling.
It brings flavor and is the main ingredient of the dish.
- Cheddar cheese.
- Seasonings (garlic powder, salt, and pepper).
- Heavy cream.
Steps to make this recipe:
- Take 2 pans of 8 x 8 size and grease them.
- The ingredients are divided into half portions if you want to make 2 pans.
- The ingredients are assembled in an order (Layer of mashed potato, chicken, broccoli, bacon, onion, and cheese).
- Add salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Repeat the seasoning and layers.
- The heavy cream is poured on the ingredients and butter pieces are sprinkled on the dish.
- The dish is covered with foil.
- The dish is baked in the preheated oven at 350 degrees or till the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked.
- The rest of the cheese is sprinkled over the dish and baked in an uncovered dish for a few minutes till cheese bubbles.
Assembling is done as mentioned above but does not go for baking. Potatoes must be covered with other ingredients to avoid blackening. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, mark, and keep it in the freezer. ½ cup of cedar cheese is also placed in the freezer along with each dish.
The cooking of frozen dishes:
- The dish is out of the freezer and thaws overnight.
- For one hour bake, the covered dish or till the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked. The rest of the cheese is sprinkled over the dish and baked in the uncovered dish for a few minutes till the cheese bubbles.
Tips for Freezer Meals:
- Label the containers.
- The potatoes must be away from the surface to avoid blackening.
- Assembling of the ingredients must be triple or quadruple.
2. Ham and Potato Casserole:
Another freezer meal is Ham and Potato casserole. If you are thinking of ways to use the leftover ham then this recipe is perfect for your meal. The recipe is very simple and pocket-friendly.
d your family will love it as it is also considered a freezer meal.
Several of these casseroles are made to freeze if you have many leftover hams and throwing them into a freezer bag is quick.
Let’s start with the recipe for ham and potato casserole.
- Frozen hash browns cut into cubes (4 cups).
- Cubed ham (1 ½ cup).
- ½ cup chopped onion.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Can cream of chicken soup 10 oz.
- Sour cream ½ cup.
- Pinch of salt and pepper or as per taste.
- Chop the onions. Grate the cheese and cube the ham.
- Put all of them in a resealable bag and mix the ingredients well.
- The air is removed and the bag is sealed and put in the freezer.
- Take the bag out of the freezer and thaw.
- Spray a little oil on the casserole dish.
- The bag ingredients must be dumped on the dish.
- Now bake the dish in an oven for 1 hr. at 375⁰.
You can add any cheese, bread topping, and seasoning as per your taste.
3. The Pioneer Woman’s Twice Baked Potato Casserole.
The recipe contains bacon, cheese, creamy mashed potatoes, along some potato skin. The positive point is it is freezer-friendly and easily made.
Read this recipe if you want to know everything about this awesome dish.
- Salted butter.
- Sour cream.
- Canola oil.
- Russet potatoes.
When making mashed potato casserole starchy potatoes like Yukon Gold and Russets are the best. Red or new potatoes when mashed have a gluey consistency so avoid them.
- Seasoned Salt.
- Pepper/ Salt.
- Cheddar cheese (Shredded one for better result).
- Garnishing with green onions.
- The first step is to clean the potatoes. Wipe them to dry the potatoes.
- Canola oil is used to rub the potatoes.
- Bake the dish at 400 ⁰ for 40 minutes.
- Take the sour cream, milk, and butter out of the fridge and bring them temperature down to room temperature.
- The bacon is cooked as the potatoes bake.
- The potatoes are removed from the oven and wait till the dish is cooled.
- 2 potatoes with skin are left and peel the remaining potatoes. Cut the potatoes into small pieces.
- The bacon is crumbled and adds half of them to the bowl containing potatoes having cream, milk, cheese, butter, salt, and pepper, and seasoned salt.
- All the ingredients are placed in a baking dish (9 x 13). Add more cheese and remaining bacon.
- Put the dish in an oven at 350 ⁰ for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.
The recipe is made two days ahead of time.
- The casserole is assembled as mentioned in the recipe however, baking can hold off and refrigerate the dish.
- When want to bake, cover the dish and bake it for 10-15 minutes. The top is removed and for 25 minutes, bake the dish.
Crock Pot Method:
The instructions must be followed however, the casserole is assembled in the Crock-Pot other than the casserole dish.
For 2 hours of heat on low flame or for 1-hour heat on high flame. As soon as the cheese melt, shift the pot to warm.
Additional 1-2 hours of heating is required if reheating the casserole from a cold state.
It is best to eat the refrigerated leftovers within three days however, frozen is used within 3 months.
Freezing Leftover Potato Casserole:
The butter, whole milk, and cream assist in holding the consistency of potato casserole and is perfect for freezing. However, potatoes have some water content n heating them so add some sour cream or butter. This will help to cater to this problem.
The portions are frozen using foil packets and stored in a Ziploc bag.
The measuring cup is used to place a small portion onto a plate and place the whole plate in the freezer for 60-120 minutes. The frozen potatoes are stacked one above the other in a bag.
The potatoes are best to use for 3 months of freezing.
Reheating Frozen Potatoes:
Below are some methods to reheat the frozen potatoes.
Other Freezer Friendly Casseroles:
These are easy casserole recipes and can be frozen well for eating now and on busy days. The recipes are mentioned below.
- Leftover Chili Baked Potato casserole.
- All-Star Baked Ziti.
- Ground Beef Taco Casserole.
- Make-Ahead Creamy Mac & Cheese Casserole.
- 5-ingredient Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole.
- Ultimate Vegetable Lasagna.
- BBQ Chicken Casserole.
- French Onion Soup Casserole.
- Cheesy Ravioli Pasta Bake.
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole.
In this recipe, we have discussed many different potato casserole recipes. Potatoes are the main ingredient in many recipes and can be frozen and thawed for later baking and use. Hope you will get clear with different recipes and will try and love them.
1. Do cooked potatoes freeze well?
Yes, they can be frozen however with a slight change in texture. The potatoes can be watery, soggy.and grainy texture with thawing if the potatoes have been packed poorly. However, frozen boiled potatoes are best to be eaten for 3-4 months.
2. Can you freeze potatoes without cooking them?
They are not recommended to be frozen as it is highly perishable with high water content. The potatoes with wax coating are better to freeze as compared to the starchy ones with less moisture content.
3. How do you preserve fresh potato?
The 4 tips to keep their freshness are:
- Store the potatoes in a dark cool and dry place.
- As compared to plastic bags the best option is paper or a basket.
- Don’t refrigerate.
- They must not be placed close to bananas, apples, or onions.